Green Shakes!!

These are kind of a summer staple for me.  I've got my daughter hooked on them because I add enough fruit that it tastes like a smoothie, but their nutritious.  ;)  My hubby will drink them whenever I make them, because he just eats what I feed him.  The man is a saint, I tell you.  ;)

Anyway - these are simple and yummy.  I started looking into them when I found a site online that talked about loosing weight while drinking these.  Hm...  I guess if you didn't eat anything and just drank these, you'd definitely loose weight.  I guess if you drank it for breakfast and lunch then had a regular dinner you'd probably loose weight.  The problem we've found is that they don't last four hours.  Or else you are STARVING at lunch time.  ;)  So...perhaps I don't put enough in mine, I don't know.  I just hesitate to have them stuffed with more than 300 calories.
This site has lots of recipes... but this is my favorite basic.  You can adapt it to whatever you want.  ;)  The people who like to control us (i.e. the government) say you should get 5 to 6 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, right?  Well, I figure with one of these puppies, you've got your base down and everything else that's green for the day is gravy.  ;)
Whatever your reason, enjoy!!

Basic green shake:  (makes 2 large glasses)
2 cups water
4 cups spinach
1 banana
1 c frozen blueberries  (sams club)
1 c frozen sliced strawberries  (sams club)
1/2 C plain greek yogurt
1 scoop protein (prefer non whey - usually use chocolate)

combine in the order listed in the blender and blend till smooth.

2nd favorite one - (more veggies)
2 cups water
2 cups kale
2 to 4 cups spinach
2 carrots
1 apple (cored)
1 banana
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 to 2 scoops protein

blend as the above one.  This one is a little more green tasting...sometimes I add a bit of stevia.  Personally I like it just the way it is.  ;)

In the summer when I've got lots of fresh veggies, I've even tossed zucchini in, tomatoes, whatever is a vegetable to go with the fruit if I don't have kale or enough spinach or no carrots.  This week we didn't have kale till today, so I kept it pretty simple.

I've seen seeing articles lately that say they aren't good for you, yada, yada.  Well, once again it's what works for you.  These help me have a cool breakfast when it's hot summer.  I feel like I've at least started the day off healthy.  And if I manage to have a healthy lunch, then I am more likely to have a good dinner and make progress toward weight loss.

This shake isn't about weight loss here though - my main object is to help people eat healthy, right?  So, this is health!  And the more organic or natural you can get, of course, the better.

So - try a green smoothie today or tomorrow.  You'll be pleasantly surprised, and don't let the color of it put you off.  They aren't called green shakes for nothing - and when you add blueberries and strawberries, it's really dark.  Just saying.  ;)

Comments

Popular Posts