Yummy tomato basil pasta

Well...I didn't feel like taking pictures while I was cooking, so there aren't any.  I might be able to sneak one of the lunches I put together so you can see...but it's also not really much to look at.  It's more something to taste.
I found this recipe on the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen site, and decided since I didn't have any Orzo, I'd just use pasta.
And then, of course, I couldn't just leave it at that.  I had to make changes.  So - this is what I ended up with.  All but the pasta and garlic was from our garden!  I love this time of year. 

Cheezy tomato basil squash penne...to feed a crowd.  lol

See if you like it.  ;)

4 boxes of penne pasta ( I used 3 of the Kroger Whole Wheat Penne and 1 of Barilla veggie Penne)
4 cups of cherry tomato or grape tomatoes sliced
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 smallish butternut squash, peeled and chopped
3 smaller leaves of Kale, chopped (loosely)
4 tsp minced garlic
Olive oil
1/3 C chopped fresh basil
3 C grated mozzarella cheese

Bring large stock pot of water to boil.  Add zucchini and squash.  Cook till about half way done, then add pasta and cook till al'dente'...however you spell it.  ;)
In a medium fry pan, pour some olive oil and heat it up.  Add the garlic and saute it for a couple of minutes till golden.  Add the kale and stir it around till nice and slightly wilted.  Add tomatoes and stir around until they 'burst' (is the phrase everyone is using). 
drain the pasta and put the stock pot back on the stove.  Change the kale and tomato mixture to that pan, and turn the burner on low.  Add the pasta back to the pan, and stir well.  Add the mozzarella and stir till melted.  Sprinkle with basil on top and serve.
My boys even had seconds...one had thirds! (they didn't even seem to notice that there wasn't any meat in it...)  So...turned out good for us.

Comments

Popular Posts