Blueberry pancakes and Homemade Salsa!

Okay - so you wouldn't normally put those two things together, but I was combining things for the post.  ;)

First - the pancakes.

I don't know about you, but pancakes are kind of a passion for me.  I love them.  I could eat them almost every day.  I don't mind eating them for dinner, though I guess I'm not big on eating them for lunch...I do prefer them fresh and warm, but I have been known to snack on them cold if I'm starving.  My sons and hubby do it all the time, lol.

But anyway, I've discovered that low fat pancakes are just not the same.  I discovered a recipe for buckwheat ones that wasn't too bad, but they have always been kind of flat.  I realized this year, that was part of the problem.  I don't like flat pancakes, unless they are supposed to be flat.  You know, like crepes or something?  But normal pancakes are fluffy...poufy...however you want to say it.  They are YUM.  And the ones I've been making over the years as low fat, just aren't.  They tasted okay, but they just didn't have the omph that I was looking for.

I discovered in my hubby's little book he got on his mission, the simplest and yummiest recipe we've tried yet.  And it turns out wonderful every time!  Okay, it's not fat free, because I actually add the oil, but it's low fat because I use egg whites instead of the whole egg.

If you have an original copy of the cook book, "Where's Mom Now That I Need her?" it's on the first page of the breakfast section.  Whole Wheat Pancakes!  You've got to try them.  Today I added fresh blueberries, because I like to do stuff like that.  ;)  No one but me really cares, but I love blueberries in just about anything.  They would have been the ultimate with a fresh blueberry topping too, but hey, I used all the ones I had in the batter, so we used my fresh strawberry jam.  It was still excellent.
 Here's what they looked like while cooking...see all the lovely blueberries?

 And this was to show you how lovely and fluffy they were.  I would have shown you the stack, but they weren't pretty as I was cooking them in a fry pan instead of a griddle and they weren't all the same shape.  I figured you could get the picture from this...  ;)

So, here's the recipe:

Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes
(adapted from the "Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?" cookbook)  I always at least double this, but here's the basic recipe.

3/4 C whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp  baking powder
2 tsp xagave
1 egg white
2/3 C skim milk
4 tsp olive oil (or some blend)
1 pint fresh blueberries

Stir flour, baking powder together in a medium bowl.  In a 4 cup measure combine milk, egg white, oil and xagave.  Combine wet to the dry and stir till well mixed.  fold in blueberries.  Cook on hot griddle and serve with topping of choice.  We use berry syrup I make, or syrup made with xagave, or cottage cheese with fruit too.  Anything will do...  ;)

The Salsa, now - I found on Sparkpeople.

Probably half to a third of my day used to be spent on that site, looking for recipes, or creating what I had made for dinner into a recipe so that I could track it on my day.  This was a simple recipe that was sooo easy for me to make, and I'm not really into making salsa, or anything to be canned, actually.  That's just not what I've been into...to quote my son.  lol
But anyway - this salsa is just so easy!  I made two quart bottles yesterday (we make quarts because we go through them too fast when I make pints) and almost can't wait to use them.  I'm holding myself back...but chili is calling me!!  (I make my homemade chili with my salsa...  ;)

so, here ya go - Fresh Garden Salsa for Canning.

    9 c. diced tomatoes- fresh red ripe, but not mushy ( 16-18 med. sized)
    3 c. EACH finely diced onions and bell pepper (all colors fine)
    1/4 c. Jalapeno peppers 
    1-2 cloves finely chopped or minced garlic
    1 c. white distilled vinegar
    1/4 c. sugar or splenda (or I use 1/8 C  xagave)
    1 Tbsp garlic salt (I don't use this - optional)
    1 Tsp black pepper

prepare 8 pint jars-get cleaned and hot with rings and lids hot
Use all plastic utensils and bowls (or glass) 
You need a jar lifter, jar filler, etc..
Peel tomatoes by dropping them (cored) in boiling water for about 30 seconds.  Dice them larger than the other vegetables.  Prepare the peppers and onions. 

Heat vinegar and sugar in a large stock pot until sugar dissolves. (or if your using xagave like I do, you can just dump all the ingredients in together - which is what I do)
Add all other ingredients and Heat until the onions are almost transparent. 
Taste juice for seasoning. Adjust to preference.
Fill jars leaving 1/2" head space. Use a plastic spoon handle to get out any air bubbles, wipe rim, put on lid and ring finger tight.  
Separate jars to let cool. Check after 24 hours to make sure lids sealed. (Press down on center-it shouldn't move.)
Now - just to be safe - I also did them in a water bath.  You can never be too sure with tomatoes, and I don't like pressure cookers, so I do lots of water baths.  I process them, and then put the jars in a water bath for 10 minutes.  then take them out and put them upside down on a towel for 5 to 10 minutes.  Then turn them right side up and leave them alone.  I just love the sound of lids popping, don't you??
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts