Kale Bacon Tabouli

I had no idea what this was until today.  I've heard the word in movies, but never tried it.  Since I have a bumper crop of Kale in my garden right now, I figured I needed to make something with it to take to the family bbq.  ;)  And found this recipe on Fuss Free Cooking.    I like her blog, it's got funny little quips in it like this one about the tabouli - "Sometimes, with replication comes innovation variation ".  Well...that's what my family would say about my cooking.  They claim I never make a recipe the same way twice.  That's not true!!  Okay...well, most the time...  lol  I have a pancake recipe that I've discovered that I make exactly the same each time!!  So there!  

Anyway - here's the adaption I made from hers.  She called for sun tried tomatoes, which I didn't happen to have on hand and wasn't going to make a trip to the store for...and I added bacon.  I couldn't help it - it just cried out for it!  My son-in-law says that everything is better with bacon...  ;)

Anyway - I didn't think to take pictures until after I'd already  made it, so that's why you have the colander with pieces of kale, the half of onion and cooked bacon...lol.  Hey...I'm not really into photographing my food like most foodies...I'm still working on it.

Kale Bacon Tablouli

Kale Tabouli

(Makes about 4 cups or so)

What you’ll need:-

  • 2 cups cooked quinoa ( I cooked it in chicken broth)
  • A bunch of kale  – about 22 (or so) leaves, finely sliced
  • 1/2 onion, finely diced
  • 1 Tb sesame seeds (probably get more flavor if toasted, but didn't want to turn on the oven)
  • Olive oil
  • 2 Tb (about) balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 c dried parsley
  • 1/2 pkg bacon, cooked and drained and crumbled
I cooked 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups FF low sodium chicken broth, and then set it aside to cool.

I went and picked a large bunch of Kale from my garden.  I thought about counting it, but I had lots of small leaves, so I just cut lots.  It ended up filling my large fry pan 1 1/2 times.  I sauteed the kale in olive oil until bright green, and then took out.

I chopped the half onion, and then sauteed it lightly in the same pan.  I had also cooked the bacon in the same pan, so it had some of that flavor.  I then dumped it in the bowl with the kale.  

then I added the quinoa and stirred.  Then I added sesame seeds and then the bacon.


I poured a little bit of balsamic vinegar - just a bit for taste - and then stirred it.  I liked how it tasted warm, so I did't put it in the fridge.  I guess I'll see how that works tomorrow.

Anyway - had my hubby taste it and he thought it was good.  So...initial experiment seems to be good.  Let me know what you think if you make it.  ;)

nutrition facts...
  • Servings Per Recipe: 8
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 248.3
  • Total Fat: 13.5 g
  • Cholesterol: 5.0 mg
  • Sodium: 350.8 mg
  • Total Carbs: 25.8 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 3.3 g
  • Protein: 8.6 g

Comments

Popular Posts