Wheat Berry Salad

In an effort to use up our OLD wheat food storage, I'm trying to make things that are little out of the ordinary.  Granted, my children didn't even TRY a bite of this, but my hubby did, and actually had seconds, so I take that opinion over my kids.
This one kind of grows on you, and actually, is good both hot or cold.  Really.  I had remembered reading somewhere about it, and now I can't remember the site - so I'm sorry I can't give them credit.  (dang, I really need to work at that.  :(   )
Anyway - adapted it, so it's not purely someone else's.  It's a great summer salad or winter dish, so give it a try.  You'll love it if you like wheat berries...


Wheat Berry Salad

6 Cups cooked wheat berries (I cook them in chicken broth to give them a little more protein and flavor.  I also like to do the crock pot over night method of cooking them...but I hadn't planned far enough ahead.)
1 red pepper, chopped fine
1 green pepper, chopped fine
4 large celery sticks, chopped fine
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 bunches of fresh broccoli, steamed and chopped
1/4 C slivered almonds
1/2 C lite soy sauce
2 tsp powdered ginger
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 C Canola Olive oil blend
seasoning to taste (which I used pepper, basil and whatever else struck my fancy)
Mix it all together and serve right away or after sitting in the fridge for a couple of hours.  It seems to get better the longer it sits.  I also heated it up, and like it said, it's yummy warm.
enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts