Bread

If you've tried making bread as long as I have, you will understand my frustration when I say that I've never been able to make a decent loaf of whole wheat bread.

Ever.  Until this past month!!

I finally found a recipe that is simple, doesn't take hours, and tastes great!!  My sons are finally starting to appreciate it.  It looks gorgeous, actually is taller than the bread pan, and we used it last night for pizza crust, just to see how it would taste.

The pizza crust was okay, but I'm not really into bread crusts anymore - we use an egg based one that only has 2 cups of flour per pan.  And these are the large cookie sheet pans.  ;)


This is the chicken, zucchini, spinach and bbq version.  It's way yummy!  Pineapple, onions, mushrooms, spinach, zucchini, light sprinkling of mozzarella, and drizzled with bbq sauce.  sigh.  

Anyway - so I'm not really into thick bread crust anymore.  But, this was okay.  Much better than greasy white stuff!!

So...

here's the recipe the way I've revamped it from off Sparkpeople.  On Sparkpeople it's called Light Whole Wheat Bread.  Definitely!

Sponge:

4 cups water
4 cups whole wheat flour
3 TB yeast

Mix together in mixing bowl and let sit till raised double.  Takes about 45 min.

Then mix in:

1/2 C butter, melted - but make sure it's not hot!  I am thinking of trying my next batch with olive oil instead, I'll let you know how it turns out.
2/3 C honey  - I've been using 1/2 C xagave for the past 2 batches, and it's turned out just fine.  
1 tsp salt (I never measure it, I don't like salt, but I understand it's necessary for baking, so I just toss some sea salt in)
6 TB wheat gluten.  I haven't tried making the bread without it, so better use it.  ;)
5 - 6 cups wheat flour

I usually mix the butter with the honey/xagave before slowly pouring it into the mixture, alternating with some flour.  Then I add the wheat gluten.  Finish adding the flour, 1 cup at a time until dough is elastic and machine starts to sound like it's going to overload.  (well...that's how I gage it...lol)  I believe you're supposed to mix/knead it for a good 10 minutes.

Cover with a dish towel and put in a draft free location for about 30 minutes - letting it raise till it's over the top of the bowl.  Then take it out and divide into 3 loaves, putting in sprayed loaf pans.  I usually have the oven pre-heated while it's raising to 350.  cover the loaves and let raise again for 30 minutes.  I'm serious - I've never seen bread rise so fast!  If you wait much longer, it goes flat and while it still taste good, it doesn't look as nice!  Put it in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.  The recipe said 25 - 30, but it went a bit too brown on me and I didn't like it.  Not burned, but ya know.  I do 20 minutes and it's gorgeous and cooked through.

See!?  That means you have fresh baked whole wheat bread from start to finish in less than 3 hours with no kneading!  Well, unless you don't have a mixer...  ;)

I've heard of making a sponge before, but I hadn't really understood it until working with this recipe.  I've never had much luck with yeast, and now I feel that at least I can make something with it that's good.  ;)  I think I'm going to try this dough with sweet rolls and see how that works....

I'll let you know.  enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts