Fresh tries at Old Recipes

So, for one of my tries at stopping the processed foods, I made homemade hamburger buns this last Friday for dinner.  We were having Turkey burgers and I had some Orowheat sandwich thins for those of us who usually are watching our calories, ( I know, they're pretty processed...but I haven't totally given them up yet...) but I hadn't picked up any buns for the boys.  Then I remembered we had this recipe in my husbands cookbook he had on his mission -- Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?.  It's full of great tips and recipes that I've used many times throughout our marriage.

Anyway, I decided to make these whole wheat buns.  They turned out pretty good.  Anything that doesn't have to rise for half the day is always good in my book, and I had my granddaughter over as well -- so time was of the essence.  ;)  They turned out pretty good, as I said, and unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to snap a photo of them before they were all eaten.  Sorry.  But here's the recipe -

Hamburger Buns
1 3/4 C warm water                                                1 1/2 tsp salt (I just sprinkled some in...lol)
1/4 C xagave  (or honey)                                         5 cups whole wheat flour (I ended up using only 4 1/2
1/4 C olive oil                                                          2 egg whites, beaten
3 pkgs yeast (I used fast rising)

Combine water, xagave (or honey), oil and yeast, let sit 10-15 min or until bubbly.  Stir in salt, eggs and flour.  Shape into hamburger patty size and place on sprayed cookie sheet and let rise for about 10 min.  Bake at 425 for 10 min or till golden brown.  let cool, split with knife.  Makes about a dozen.

I also discovered on another site (I'm trying to locate it to give credit) for a no yeast cinnamon roll recipe.  Unlike most people, I am not able to make cinnamon rolls that are note worthy.  They're edible...but they aren't anything someone would ask for seconds of unless they are sugar starved and my children.  ;)  So, anyway, we found this recipe which is very similar to biscuit recipes, and made it up.  They turned out great!!  So great, in fact, that when my sister-in-law brought over her family renown cinnamon rolls on my sons Homecoming, that I realized I simply could not eat them any more.  It was tooo much sugar and white flour and ugh!!  Wonderful day!!  ;)

Life is good when you're cooking simple...  See you next week.  ;)

Comments

Popular Posts