No bake peanut butter bars!!

I saw this originally on Naturally Sweet's site - a place I love because she finds ways to sweeten things without processed sugar.  We love peanut butter bars at my house, but in the summer, we tend to NOT turn on the oven, lol.
So when I saw her post for these, I had to try them!!  Now...thing is, her recipe calls for coconut sugar.  To me, that's just another processed sugar, so I didn't use it.  I used raw honey and stevia and adapted things alittle...so this is what I came up with.  I like it...kids aren't as big a fans of it, or else they aren't sure they can eat them - I don't care, more for me and hubby!!  :)

her recipe made a 9x9 pan.  I doubled it to fit a 9x13...

Her recipe -
1/4 C butter
1/4 C coconut sugar
1/2 C peanut butter/almond butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 C rolled oats
1/2 tsp salt

Chocolate fudge
1/4 C peanut butter/almond butter
1 C dark chocolate chips
1 TB butter

Directions (will be the same for all recipes)
Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a pot, combine the butter, coconut sugar and peanut butter or almond butter over medium heat. Stir until the mixture is smooth and combined and begins to bubble slightly, about 5-6 minutes. Add the vanilla and keep stirring. Add the salt and oats and continue stirring for another 4-5 minutes until the oats are well coated and the mixture has a slight caramelized, toasted scent. Remove from heat.
In a microwave safe bowl, combine the 1/4 cup nut butter, chocolate chips and butter. Microwave for 2 minutes, in 30 minute increments, stirring between each, until the mixture is like a thick smooth fudge.
Scoop out half of the oatmeal mixture to the prepared dish and press down to cover. Pour the chocolate on the top of this oat mixture in the dish, reserving about 2-3 tablespoons. Gently press the remaining oat mixture over the chocolate. Drizzle with the remaining chocolate. Place bars in the freezer for 45 minutes. Score the bars and return to the freezer for another 45 minutes to an hour, or until firm. Store bars in an airtight container in the fridge. Bars can be frozen for up to 4 weeks.
My version!
I have to admit - I had some senior moments when making these, so I didn't do the first layer according to recipe... sigh.  But I think it worked, so you decide.  I ended up doing 2 batches.  First batch was this:

1 1/2 C peanut butter
1/2 C raw honey
1/2 C stevia
3 tsp vanilla
4 cups rolled oats
1/2 C whole milk

second batch was this:
1/2 C butter
1 C peanut butter
1/2 C raw honey
1/2 C stevia
3 tsp vanilla
1/2 C whole milk


Chocolate Fudge (only made one batch)1/2 C peanut butter2 C dark chocolate chips (used Ghirardelli 60% cocao)2 TB butter

I lined the 9x13 pan with parchment, and spread the first batch of oats.  Poured half the fudge over it, and then spread the second layer and drizzled the rest of the chocolate over the top and put in the freezer.  
they turned out awesome!!  So - anyway, give it a try.  Put your twist on it... whichever way you make them, they're awesome!



Comments

Popular Posts