Bean, Kale and quinoa Burritos

So - I informed the family a week or so ago that we were going to start eating healthier (again).  I think the more part of them ignored me, my hubby actually agreed with me (on principle, I think) and my other daughter thought it was great.   I've been making green shakes again (which I LOVE) and generally eating more greens.  My daughter wanted us to order pizza tonight, and I was totally prepared to and then remembered I'd been craving burritos for a week.  Healthy-ish burritos.
So, I did that instead.  You should have seen the expression on my hubby and son's face.  Even the oldest daughter wasn't thrilled.  I can't wait to see the older son when he gets home.  sigh.
I chopped up the kale, grabbed some onion, cans of black beans (yes, still canned stuff for now...working on it!)  and a can of diced tomatoes.

this is the kale and onions with garlic sauteing.  Yummy stuff.  I could have done more kale, but wasn't sure how the family was going to react to it in the first place.  :)

I cooked up some Quinoa and brown Basmante Rice (both cook fast, nice!) and added the black beans after draining and rinsing to the pot of rice.  

I didn't have time to snap a photo of the finished product, everyone was eating - which is a good sign!  Although we had quite the discussion about healthy food and adding meat, lol.  Everyone thought they would be great with some additional meat.  sigh.
We used whole wheat tortillas, which are yummy.  So...here's the recipe version for ya...

Black bean, Brown Rice and Quinoa Burritos serves 6 x2

3 leaves kale, chopped
1/2 large sweet onion
1 cup cooked quinoa (I cook with chicken broth and spices)
2 cups cooked brown rice (I cook in chicken broth with spices and butter)
2 cans black beans (low sodium) drained
1 can diced tomatoes with liquid
2 T butter
2 TB minced garlic
seasonings as desired

toppings...
grated cheddar cheese
sour cream
avocado- sliced
salsa

in a large skillet combine butter, kale, onion and garlic.  Saute until well blended and kale is soft.  Add tomatoes and cook till warm.  to make...
take tortilla shell, layer with beans/rice mixture, quinoa, tomato kale mixture, sour cream and cheese if desired, avocado, roll up and eat!
I used a fork, but my son had no inhibitions.  He wouldn't even try the quinoa.  sigh.  Work in progress.  There will be left overs of both the quinoa and rice/bean mixture, I just cooked a bunch and this is what I cooked.  Great for leftover stuff
hope you enjoy as much as we did!

Comments

Popular Posts