Sweet Potato and bean chili

Okay ...for my first real venture into the meatless meals, I was trying to use up our case of sweet potatoes.  We spent most of Monday slicing them into french fries and freezing them, so I have a good stock of french fries I don't have to cut for a while!!  But I still had some left.  I found this recipe on the internet and thought I'd try it, and it was really good!!  my kids even liked it.  So, here's the recipe as I made it.  For lunch I'd made falafel type stuff with chick peas, and so it was basically a no meat day!  I was so impressed with myself.  What was funny- as I was making the chili I kept trying to put some meat in it and had to stop myself.  Isn't it crazy how you get into habits???  ARGH.
Anyway - enjoy!


Sweet Potato and Beans Chili


    1 1/2 Tb olive oil 2 small sweet onion, chopped minced Garlic, 3 tsp  western family black beans, 4 cans, drained and rinsed western family diced tomatoes no salt added, 2 cans western family corn, 1 can, drained and rinsed  *chick peas (not canned - cooked from dry), 2 cups Chili powder, 2 tbsp Raw wild honey, 1 tbsp  6 sweet potatoes (smallish), chopped Kroger low sodium fat free chicken broth, 2 cans (you could use all vegetable broth if want it totally vegetarian) Kroger vegetable broth, 1 can

In a large dutch oven pan, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add potatoes and then beans, corn and tomatoes and broth. ( I think it only needs two cans of broth instead of 3, mine turned out kind of liquidy for chili.)
Add spices and honey. Cook over medium high until potatoes are soft.
serve with polenta or chips, sour cream and cheese.

Makes about 18 servings...

Comments

Popular Posts